Monday, May 9, 2011

Intern Orientation

So today was my first day of my internship! It was pretty exciting. So I am going to pretty much go through my whole day today. Feel free to skip or skim parts if it's boring. So I woke up in the morning and there was a thunderstorm and it was pouring rain :( that definitely made me not want to get out of bed. But eventually I did and then I got all ready for the day and tried to dress somewhat "business casual." The only really tough part about that was that I didn't have any businesscasualy coats to wear since I left that kind of stuff in Provo for the summer. So I just wore a not so nice coat. Then I drove to work which was sooooo stressful. Because half of the city is trying to get to 3M at 8 o'clock in the morning. Because everyone works there. But eventually I made it. Then all of the interns and new employees went into this conference room and they gave us donuts and juice. My donut was especially delicious but also messy. Then we learned all about how to have good ethics and not sexually harrass each other and stuff like that. Then they gave us a break to socialize amongst ourselves and walk around the room and look at their various displays. They told us that it would be preparation for a trivia quiz which was to come. Then in the trivia quiz I knew the first question, so I answered it. But then the next five questions no one answered. So I felt kind of dumb. I knew the answer to another question later on but I decided not to answer since evidently no one else wanted to participate in the quiz and I didn't want to look like a suck-up. So the lady just told us all of the answers. I don't think that was as much fun for her but oh well. Then we got lots of free 3M products like highlighters, post-it notes, fancy pop-up tape, and adhesive bandages (not band-aids of course, that's Johnson & Johnson and they are our arch rivals). But then after that we got to learn about security and how to let someone know if we see something suspicious going on. Also 3M requires that you notify them if you have a restraining order for anyone. See, very valuable information. Then the interns and the new full-time employees split up. The interns went to take their pictures to get fancy employee badges. I think my picture looks pretty good. And it's on a really fun lanyard that I played with for the rest of the day. Then we got a mini tour of one of the buildings and saw the 3M store that is exclusively for employees where they sell all of their products at the manufacturing cost. They have all sorts of Scotch tape for 25 cents there! Crazy. But anyways then we went downstairs into another conference room. Then we went through some more meeting stuff and they tried to get us really excited to work for 3M. Then they fed us lunch. They had many choices, few of which appealed to me. I ended up going with the turkey caesar wrap. This turned out to be a good choice because it came with a cookie! Everyone else's came with potato salad except for the other guy who chose the turkey caesar wrap. The potato salad people were jealous. During lunch we played a game where we had to try to find similarities and differences between us. Differences were super easy. Similarities were much harder. Oh and here is a run down of the other interns. There were about 12-15 of them. 2 girls besides me. One black guy. One Chinese guy. One guy from Nepal? I think he said that... No other chemical engineers. A couple IT guys, a couple MBAs, a PhD student, a couple computer scientists, one mechanical engineer, one electrical engineer, one supply chain, one materials science. One girl from Georgia. Several from Michigan. A few from Minnesota. One from Iowa, a couple from Ohio. None married except me. Mainly about my age but a few older. Anyway then after lunch this guy from IT came and taught us a bunch of computer stuff. That was the most boring. I kept yawning and was getting super tired and it was hard to stay awake. Then a girl came and taught us about the service projects that 3M does. Then we filled out some paperwork and each got a laptop! That was pretty exciting because I didn't know that I was getting a laptop. And then I went home. My GPS directed me not to go on the freeway because of traffic so I took a side road instead. And that was the end of my day at work. The End.
Then Ken and I watched some 30 rock and made chicken cashew salad for the family. And now we just made brownies. That's all for today. But tomorrow I meet my supervisor so stay tuned to find out how that goes. I really hope he likes me. I'll let you know tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment