Sunday, March 20, 2011

My facebook comment about Rebecca Black's "Friday"

 Julieann Ray Selden
this song is obviously not meant to be deep. that is clear. the popular genre of music right now has a purpose of relieving stress and being relaxing and fun. i believe that this song accomplishes that purpose at least as well as other songs on the radio. ie:
I gotta feeling that tonight’s gonna be a good night
That tonight’s gonna be a good night
That tonight’s gonna be a good good night (x3)
Tonight’s the night night
Let’s live it up
I got my money
Let’s spend it up
Now how is that any better? yet how many people have criticized this song the same way? not nearly as many. yet rebecca black is only 13 and would be expected to have less profound lyrics. Except it really doesn't even matter how profound her lyrics are. Because that is so far from the purpose of her song. the trend is to create songs that dont make you think at all, usually because you are so sick and tired of thinking all day. At least that is how I make use of songs like this. After studying for hours and hours on campus the last thing I want to do is come home and listen to a song that makes me think even more. The first thing I want to do is listen to a song that is fun and that I can dance to or just relax while listening. You don't have to agree, I am just trying to explain why the song would get so many views on youtube. Of course it was not for its intellectually challenging and articulate lyrics, but again, that was obvious.
Julieann Ray Selden ps. i am actually a black eyed peas fan as well. this music has its place, and so does music that makes you think. they are just very different.

1 comment:

  1. ps. I recommend reading my friends posts about this topic that preceded mine. No offense to them, but they seem to have such far superior intellect that they have license to mock this song. However their mockery really doesn't make them appear any smarter in my eyes. But, just my opinion. I think they are great people and very smart, just maybe didn't think this one through as much as they might like to think.

    ReplyDelete