Thursday, March 31, 2011

Being Brownieless: A new and unique experience

Today I had an experience unlike any I've ever had before. Basically, I felt stupid and awkward because I did not have a brownie. I found myself in a room surrounded by people holding mint brownies on little white napkins. And I alone did not have one. I felt so out of place. And then, my boss/professor came in and he didn't have a brownie either. So I felt a little relieved. Until I remembered that he has health problems that make it so he can't have very much sugar. But I had no good excuse for not having a brownie in my possession. Everyone else had one. And I felt people staring at me thinking, "Where's your brownie?" Now I've wanted brownies before, that aspect was definitely not uncommon. And yes, it would have been nice to have a brownie just because I think they are delicious and I never turn down the chance to eat a brownie. But I had never wanted one in this way before. I wanted one so that I wouldn't feel awkward and out of place in a room surrounded by people with brownies. But I didn't know where they got them. I didn't know if I could get one. I couldn't possibly ask anyone for the risk of looking foolish. Clearly everyone else knew about the brownies, why didn't I? And I didn't really know anyone well enough to ask them. So, I sat there, without a brownie, feeling awkward and being sad that I couldn't enjoy what everyone else had. And then I left because I couldn't take it anymore.

2 comments:

  1. AAAAAGHHH! We will have to make brownies. When are you free?

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm... I feel like I am free most of the time... I don't know... but ya we definitely should! I love brownies :)

    ReplyDelete